Going on a camping trip with the family is one of the best times you can spend with your family. There are many things to consider when going on a camping trip like having the best travel packing organizer and other travel-friendly items.
With all of this having a good tent that can keep you and your luggage safe while providing you with a comfortable space to rest and make the most of your family time is more of a necessity than an option.
If going out with your family or friends you can opt for the big tents that have large living spaces so all of you could sit in and play your favorite games in the spacious living room of your tent.
How Big Is an 8 Person Tent?
Camping is not just enjoyment but it also offers multiple health benefits. When planning on going for a camping trip with family you have to consider how big a tent you require that can have space for your entire family.
An 8 person tent should be big enough to at least fit in 2 queen air mattresses or 8 individual sleeping bags. It mostly depends on the design of the tent other than dimensions that can tell if it can fit in 8 people.
Typically a tent for 8 persons has dimensions 16” ft. x 7” ft. or 14” ft. x 9” ft. You should always check for the style of the tent, which would determine if your tent is fit for your use or not.
How to Set Up an 8 Person Tent
Although all the tents are different and are set up differently, most of them require the same steps to be followed. Following are the steps for setting up a tent:
- Firstly you have to lay out the trap before putting your tent
- Take out all the components of your tent and make sure you have everything that is needed.
- Lay your tent on the trap, the bottom side of the tent should be down.
- The next step is to connect the tent poles. (This could be different for different types of tents)
- Insert the tent poles in their respective flaps. Every tent has its own design for the poles. Read out the instructions to know which pole has to be fitted in which flap.
- Raise the tent and stake it to the ground.
- Add a rainfly if you desire.
Here is a complete YouTube tutorial for setting up a tent that can clearly explain the step by step procedure to you:
Types of 8 Person Tents
A much-debated topic when it comes to camping is what is best, camping in a tent or a motor home. There is no denying the fact that camping in a tent is an experience that one should have. There are many different types of tents to choose from. The 9 types of tents are discussed below:
- Inflatable Tent
- Tunnel Tent
- Backpacking Tent
- Multiroom Tent
- A-Frame or Wedged Tent
- Dome Tent
- TeePee Tent
- Pop Up Tent
- Semi Geodesic and Geodesic Tents
The 5 Best 8 Person Tents:
Elite Montana Coleman 8 person tent is one of the best tents you can find in the market for 8 persons. It is really easy to set up which makes it easy to go with at all times.
It is a cabin shaped tent and is big enough to have room for your entire family at all the camping trips. The variety of outdoor technologies introduced in the tent is impressive and is sure to enhance your camping trip to the mountains.
The tent is designed with a WeatherTec system and hence it is 100% waterproof so you can stay protected in the rain and can enjoy a dry picnic. It has a polyester taffeta 75D flysheet and a hinged door for easy entry and exit.
The tent has a 4 Pole modified dome design and is really easy to set up. As a matter of fact, it only takes 15 minutes to set up this heavy-duty tent.
The tent is 16 x 7 ft. and can easily fit 3 queen airbeds or can make room for 8 people. The height of the tent is 6 ft. 2 inches and hence you can easily stand and move in the tent. The best part is that you can continue to enjoy the trip even after the sun sets as the tent is lighted with LEDs and has three settings being low, high and nightlight.
Klondike Tent takes the camping trips to a next level with introducing a beautifully designed tent with an attached screen room that is also usable as a sleeping room. The big spacious tent allowing you to stand and move inside has meshed ceiling and windows that prevent the bugs from entering your tent while letting the cool breeze in.
The tent is of high quality and is made up of water-repellent polyester and also has a polyurethane coating that protects it from top to bottom. It has a removable rainfly to protect it from the rain and you can remove it to enjoy the beautiful view of the starry sky in the night if you want. The tent is sturdy and really powerful so you can simply relay on it at all times.
The size of the tent is big enough and can provide room for 8 people. 5 can sleep in the main tent whereas the attached screen room can create space for 3 more. 2 queen airbeds can fit in the tent, 1 in the main tent and 1 in the secondary room. The screened area can also function as a sunroom and can give you a lot of options to make the most of your trip.
TOMOUNT KEEP 8 person tent is the one you are searching for if wind and rain are your major rivals on a camping trip. It is a beautifully designed spacious tent. It has a very strong construction and is professional windproof and professional waterproof.
It is tested to stand steady in the strong winds so you can enjoy the picnic without the fear of the winds. Also, it is tested to take up to 4000mm of rain and would still keep the insides dry. Such strength is truly remarkable and makes this tent a better option than many others.
The tent has a lot of space inside and can easily fit 8 people inside. It has space for 3 queen airbeds or 8 individual sleeping bags so you never have to be worried about the space and can easily enjoy with your family.
The height of the tent is also 7 feet that means one can easily stand and walk around. Additionally the KEEP 8 person tent has 1 large mesh door and 5 mesh windows and a mesh roof so you can have the fresh breeze when you feel like it.
The tent has added features like mesh pockets inside the tent where you can store items for easy access and an e-port from where you can run a cord from your tent to an outside power source. Last but not least, this tent is also heat resistant having a double layer of fabric on the top.
OZARK’s trial family cabin tent has its own advantages. It can have room for 10 people and is designed in a manner that it can be divided into three separate rooms. The look from the outside is like a cabin. It has a full coverage fly to provide it with maximum protection against the weather conditions. One queen and one twin air mattress are included.
OZARK’s family tent can easily create room for 10 people. It can fit 3 queen-sized air mattresses and would still have some extra room to spare. It features additional privacy by providing two removable separators. You can use the separators to create three separate rooms.
There are three doors one in the middle and two on either side which makes a separate room for all the three rooms if using separators. Additionally, it has 6 windows for extra ventilation.
The taped fly seams secure your tent from the rain. They prevent leakage in rainy and in foggy weather conditions. This tent is really good and is pretty impressive considering that it is fairly inexpensive.
CORE Instant Cabin Tent featuring a 14 x 9 ft. floor plan can give room to 9 people for sleeping or you can always shift to a less number of campers and a lot of luggage. The tent has a large T-door that provides you easy access to your tent.
The tent features large mesh windows for good ventilation and also the advanced vents that take in cool air from the adjustable vents on the ground.
The tent has a mesh top so you can enjoy the beautiful starry sky and whenever it rains you can simply put on the rainfly. The seams of the tents often allow the water in but CORE tent has an H2O block technology as the seams are heat-sealed and hence allow no water to enter the tent keeping your tent completely dry during the rains.
It can fit 2 queen air mattress and also has a detachable room divider to provide privacy if required, else you can remove the divider and can have a big living area to enjoy with the entire family.
The best part about the CORE tent is that it is super easy to set up and only takes 10 seconds to set up this tent. It has the telescoping poles that are pre-attached to the tent and hence it requires only a few simple steps to set up the tent.
What to Look For In a Tent
- Capacity: You should always look for the tent capacity as this is the thing that would determine the tent is big enough to fit your family in it.
- Rainfly: Rainfly is another important thing to consider. You definitely want your tent to stay safe and able to stand against rain to allow you to continue enjoying your trip. A rainfly should be included and also consider the material and quality of the rainfly as a rainfly could be of bad quality that won’t do any good for you or your tent.
- Ventilation: Ventilation system has to be well defined and well thought of. A badly ventilated tent could suffocate you. Your tent should have enough windows to give you air to breathe in. Having meshed windows is a plus point as those will keep the bugs out and would let the fresh air in.
We hope to have made your decision of buying a tent for the next camping trip a bit easier with our selection of the best 8-person tents. Now you what you have to look for in a tent, besides it being spacious, the tent should be waterproof and sturdy to stand against strong winds. All the tents have some advantages over others and you can select the one that suits you best.
Let us know in the comments which one do you prefer and why do you like it the most. Also, we would love to hear from you if we have missed any of your favorite 8-person tents that should be in our list of best tents.
The 5 Best Selling 8 Person Tents
For your convenience, the below list shows the 5 best selling 8 person tents currently for sale on Amazon.com. This list is automatically updated daily.
- 【Roomy for 8 People or 9-Person Family】 HIKERGARDEN tent is the perfect family...
- 【Durable & High-Quality Material】 Made with 185T polyester. With the 1000mm...
- 【Easy Set-Up】 No particular skills needed, 2 people could set up the tent easily...
- 【Breathable & Separated Room】The camping tent has 1 large mesh door, 5 mesh...
- Sleeps 9 people; Fits three queen air mattresses; Center Height: 72 inches
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent.Pole Type: Traditional Fiber...
- Features gear loft with lantern hook and pockets to keep items organized and off the...
- Electrical cord access port (port is fully closable when not in use)
- WEATHERPROOF: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; included...
- HINGED DOOR: Easily swings open and includes an extended awning
- STORAGE POCKETS: Keep small gear organized and off the floor
- CONVENTIONAL PITCH: Sets up in 15 minutes
- WeatherTec System patented welded floors and inverted seams keep water out, Spacious...
- Dome design makes setup quick and easy, 10 minutes , Snag-free, continuous pole...
- Floor vent for maximum ventilation, Large windows help cool the tent, Storage pockets...
- Insta-Clip pole attachments stand up to winds, 10 ft. x 10 ft. (3 m x 3 m), fits six...
- Instant 60 Second Setup; Sleeps 9 people; Fits two queen air mattresses; Center...
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent
- Features room divider and wall storage pockets keep items neat and off the tent floor
- Electrical cord access port (port is fully closable when not in use)
The Outdoors Blog is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn More.